Take Action! Contact info below.
A new application for a GM wheat trial was announced in July 2011. The Soil Association will be submitting information to the consultation highlighting how the trial is potentially risky, unnecessary and a waste of public money.
The GM wheat has been engineered to repel aphids, using a technique which has already been shown to work using non GM methods. If you agree with us, you can register your objections in the Government consultation which is running until the 19th August 2011.
Here are some points you might like to include in your response:
- There is a risk of cross-contamination with other plants
- The inclusion of an antibiotic resistant marker gene may contribute to a rise in resistant infections in humans and animals
- There is no market for GM wheat – citizens have voted no to GM in their food
- There is a lack of data on potential health risks of these crops
- Possible impacts on natural aphid predators have not been investigated
- Likely impacts on non-GM farms as a result of displaced aphids
- There are already effective ways to use the ‘aphid alarm’ system using non-GM techniques
Comments can be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to: The GM Team, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Area 8A, 9 Millbank, c/o 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR, stating the application reference number 11/R8/01